Support following separation.

In the ideal world, all separations would be clean breaks, yet the reality is that many are clouded in complexities that need to be attended to.

If either of you are not able to support yourselves following separation due to illness, age, deskilling or child care commitments, the able partner will have to provide ongoing financial support, known as spousal maintenance.  This applies equally to same sex couples and is separate to child support.

Remember – spousal maintenance is not automatic and the Family Court will need to consider the needs of you, your partner and your capacity to provide ongoing support.

If you’ve already come to an agreement, there is no need to formalise it with the Family Court.  That said, you can file a “consent agreement” if you like.

At CMS Legal, we’re here to help guide you through the process.  Purposely set up to offer more one-on-one time, we can advise you on whether you are entitled to spousal maintenance, or how to respond if a claim has been made against you.

If you think you need to claim spousal maintenance, it’s important to act quickly as strict time limits apply.

Contact us today for a free 1 hour in-office consultation on 08 9207 1866

Get in touch

    Contact Us

    We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you.